Explore measurement with your preschoolers using this Water Experiment for Kids. This water sensory play activity is so versatile and can be added to just about any preschool theme. You’re definitely not going to want to miss it!
I can’t get over how much we enjoy STEAM Activities and especially this Water Experiment for Kids! Not only was it a great way to practice measuring volume and even reading numbers, but it was also a wonderful sensory experience and a fun way to cool off on a hot Summer day!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, please see my full disclosures.
A huge thanks to Experience Early Learning (formerly Mother Goose Time) for providing us with their Experience Preschool curriculum for free in exchange for sharing our honest and authentic stories resulting from our personal experiences. It’s been such a huge blessing to us! As always, my opinions on awesome stuff for little kids are 100% my own.
Water-themed activities for preschoolers are a great addition to your lesson plans. It’s quick and easy to switch things up and make an activity like this one work for any season, holiday, or theme.
We decided to use food coloring in water so that we could practice color sorting too. After all, science experiments for preschoolers are perfect for exploring lots of important early learning skills.
Water Experiment for Kids
Measurement, Investigation & Inquiry
- Fill a pitcher about halfway with water then mark the water level with tape.
- Set out gem counters or rocks next to the pitcher. Encourage children to explore dropping the items into the pitcher of water.
- What do you think will happen if you drop a rock in the pitcher?
- How has the water level changed? How can you tell?
- How can you record the changes?
- How many rocks does it take to raise the water to the top of the pitcher?
We decided to use plastic beakers to practice reading volume in milliliters and of course, the colored water made the water level a lot easier to see.
Science Experiments for Preschoolers
Here at The Keeper of the Memories, we love science experiments for preschoolers and these engaging and hands-on STEAM investigations are no exception.
And best of all? These STEAM activities for kids are perfect for a wide range of ages and of course, they’re quick and easy too.
- Learn all about clouds while exploring weather with your preschool and kindergarten learners using this Weather Science for Kids STEAM investigation.
- This Roots Preschool STEAM is perfect for demonstrating how roots absorb water and nutrients from the soil.
- Explore color mixing with your preschoolers and kindergartners using this Art Studio Preschool Monthly Theme Color Mixing Science & STEAM.
Don’t forget to check back if you’re interested in seeing what we’re up to next week with our Fables & Folktales theme from Experience Preschool!