Over 30 rainbow themed activities perfect for learning and exploring rainbows through sensory play, STEAM activities, and process art. This post is the perfect resource for your next Exploring Weather theme!
Rainbows are such a magical weather phenomenon! I still feel a sense of awe and wonder when I see one in the sky. I was seriously ecstatic to check out all of these wonderful Rainbow Toddler Activities.
Thanks for visiting! If you’re interested in following along with what we’re up to each week, definitely sign up via email and/or follow The Keeper of the Memories on Facebook, and Pinterest. This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy here.
Seeing the amazement reflected in the eyes of my children as they marvel over a rainbow is even more amazing! Rainbows are a great way to teach your children about weather and God’s promises. Plus, rainbows are bright, colorful, and fun!
I’ve put together more than 30 rainbow toddler activities that are perfect for learning through play. Keep scrolling to get in on the fun!
Rainbow Activities for Toddlers
Do you know why we see rainbows? That’s what I asked my kids last week. One of them suggested clouds were the answer and that’s not far off! It has to do with light reflecting off the moisture in the air, making it possible to see the colors that our eyes normally can’t separate.
Pretty amazing, right? You can teach your toddlers all about colors with some of these excellent fine motor activities.
Rainbow Fine Motor Activities
Fine motor tasks are great for helping little ones to build hand eye coordination and finger muscles they’ll need in preschool and kindergarten. Tasks like the sorting and matching activities below are fun and educational for toddlers.
- Teach toddlers colors with this Mega Blok Pompom Sorting from Happy Toddler Playtime.
- Have you ever considered Learning Shapes and Colors from Rainbow Rocks? This activity from Fun-A-Day is so unique and creative. We love it!
- Explore rainbows with this fun Free Printable Color Matching Printable from Preschool Play & Learn.
- Check out this Rainbow Wheel Color Matching Game for Toddlers & Preschoolers from The Soccer Mom Blog. So much fun!
- Make a Painted Stone Rainbow – Kids Craft with this quick & easy fine motor craft and activity from Non-Toy Gifts.
- Check out these 18 Color Sorting Activities for Toddlers from Finding Myself Young.
Rainbow Art for Toddlers
Art is another great way to learn and explore with children of all ages, especially toddlers. You can explore rainbows with your little ones using some of these fun art projects.
- Make a Rainbow Cotton Ball Craft like this one from Meraki Mother.
- This Easy Popsicle Sticks Rainbow Craft from Mombrite looks wonderful for your little learners.
- Your toddler will definitely love this Easter Egg Rainbow Craft from Happy Toddler Playtime.
- Who doesn’t love a great rainbow craft? This Potato Masher Rainbow Craft from Happy Toddler Playtime is sure to be a hit with your little kids.
- If you’d like to create some really amazing rainbow artwork, check out this Rainbow Craft Painting with Marshmallows from Active Littles.
- Here’s an Easy Rainbow Craft for Kids – Rainbow Cork Painting Project from Messy Little Monster.
- Check out this Simple Rainbow Paper Craft idea from Blessed Beyond A Doubt.
For more rainbow themed art for little ones, check out my Rainbow Sculpture Invitation to Create Process Art Experience. It’s a hands-on way to explore rainbows with kiddos. When you’re done with art, check out some of these fun ways to add rainbows to your language arts learning time.
Rainbow Language & Literacy Activities
- Explore language and literacy while learning about rainbows with this Build A Book Rainbow from Happy Toddler Playtime.
- Read a good book and make a quick snack with this Book & Cook – Rainbow Cookies from Red Ted Art.
- Another great option for practicing fine motor skills with toddlers is this Toddler Rainbow Color Recognition Storybook Activity from Our Family Code.
- Here’s a great rainbow sensory activity with this quick & easy Rainbow Bag Writing Tray from Darcy & Brian.
I really love the Rainbow Bag Writing tray activity, because it’s also a sensory activity. Sensory play is great for building language development, motor skills, critical thinking skills, and social interaction.
Rainbow Sensory Activities
To explore more great sensory activities with your toddler, check out these fun rainbow sensory play activities.
- This Rainbow Rainfall Sensory Bottle from The Chaos and the Clutter is a great way to introduce this fun topic to your toddlers.
- Here’s The BEST Playdough Recipe from The Best Ideas for Kids. You’re definitely going to want to check it out.
- Toddlers love stickers! This Rainbow Hearts Dot Sticker Activity from Happy Toddler Playtime will amuse your littlest learners for quite a while.
- Here’s a wonderful fine motor activity that also teaches about rainbows. Talk about a bright and colorful combination. Check out this Rainbow Playdough Fine Motor Activity from The Chaos and the Clutter.
- Want to make a play dough rainbow? Check out this post from Mama Smiles to learn How To Easily Make Several Colors of Play Dough.
- This Rainbow Soap Foam Fairy Tea Party from Artfully Adventuring is such a cute idea, don’t you think?
- If you want to make puffy paint rainbows with your little kids, then definitely check out this Free Printable Rainbow Template from Little Bins for Little Hands.
- Here’s a lovely Simple Sensory Bag using Glitter and Baby Oil from Laughing Kids Learn that’s sure to entertain even your littlest learners.
Like sensory play, STEAM activities help teach children problem solving skills and encourage communication. To get in on STEAM learning fun with your toddler, check out these fun rainbow STEAM play activities that your little one is sure to love.
Rainbow STEAM Activities for Toddlers
- Check out this awesome idea from Messy Little Monster! Make Rainbow Painted Toast – Bread Painting to Make Edible Art with your little kids.
- I’m loving this Rainbow Rainy Day Art STEAM project for Kids from Rhythms of Play. So colorful and cheery!
- Here’s another great toddler rainbow activity from Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds – How to Create a Toddler Rainbow Activity with Toy Cars.
- Make this Rainbow DIY Sun Catcher: Crayon Melt Craft with Toddlers from Artfully Adventuring with your little kids today!
- I am seriously so excited to try this Rainbow Tissue Paper Contact Paper Window Art from Active Littles.
- Make art from everyday things with this Kitchen Utensil Rainbow Craft from Happy Toddler Playtime.
Leave a comment and share your favorite rainbow toddler activity. I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Don’t forget to stop by next week if you’re interested in seeing what we’re up to with our Birds & Eggs theme. And if you missed this year’s preschool homeschool space post, you can check it out here.
Looking for more insight & inspiration? Here are the top 10 most popular posts from The Keeper of the Memories. You’re definitely not going to want to miss these!