Over 85 amazing rainbow activities for preschoolers focusing on sensory play, STEAM activities, math, literacy, and motor skills. This post is a great resource for your next Exploring Weather preschool theme!
Rainbows are so beautiful and whimsical! I love pointing them out to my children after a rain storm. If you love rainbows, you’ll definitely want to explore the more than 85 Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers I’ve compiled here.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
These amazing hands-on activities are perfect for enjoying rainbows with your preschoolers! I can’t wait to show you all these fun ways to learn and explore rainbows together with your little learners.
If you’re interested in learning more about rainbows, you’re going to love all the great rainbow activities and printables available right here on the site! Keep reading to explore some awesome rainbow activities for preschoolers from this site, as well as many other great rainbow resources.
Rainbow Printables & Activities from The Keeper of the Memories
- Color Mixing Science & Nature STEAM Investigation Station
- Ice Painting for Little Kids Invitation to Create Process Art
- Free Printable Color by Number Rainbow Preschool Worksheets
- Inventing New Colors with Food Coloring & Water
- Free Printable Rainbow Coloring Pages
- Quick & Easy Sensory Bin Ideas for Every Color of the Rainbow
- Color Mixing Rainbow Sensory Bags for Little Kids
- Pouring & Measuring with Rainbow Water Beads
- Mess Free Rainbow Activity for Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Rainbow Sculpture Invitation to Create Process Art Experience
- Free Rainbow Printable Ten Frame Worksheets
More Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers
As you can see, there are lots of great resources for learning about rainbows right here on The Keeper of the Memories, but I wanted to share more really fun ways to explore rainbows with your little learners. So, I’ve put together a list of excellent rainbow crafts, rainbow themed STEAM and sensory play, math, and literacy activities.
Keep scrolling for some excellent ways to make your very own rainbows with your preschool learners.
Rainbow Crafts for Preschoolers
- Check out this cute Paper Plate Rainbow Craft from Non-Toy Gifts. I love the adorable clouds.
- Make a Paper Roll Rainbow Butterfly Craft for Kids from Non-Toy Gifts.
- I remember making one of these Streamer Rainbows with the little guy a while back. We’ve kid-tested this wonderful fine motor activity from Happiness is Homemade and you’re definitely going to want to try it out too!
- This Rainbow Formation Paper Plate Craft from The Joy of Sharing is sure to win over your preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Stained glass is oh so pretty and this Stained Glass Rainbow Suncatcher from Mombrite is no exception.
- If you’re looking for a fine motor activity that your preschoolers can wear, then check out this DIY Rainbow Necklace from Mommy’s Bundle.
- Make a really awesome collage and practice color sorting with this Rainbow Paper Craft for Kids from Live Well Play Together.
- Another really neat idea is this Color Hanging Cotton Ball Rainbow Craft for Kids, which is also from Crayons & Cravings. You know, because preschoolers love all things rainbows.
- I’m loving this Rainbow Art for Kids from Natural Beach Living. This is definitely one of our favorite rainbow activities for preschoolers.
- These Pop-Up Paper Plate Rainbows from Pink Stripey Socks are absolutely adorable!
- Music & movement activities are so important for little kids and this Rainbow Shaker Wand Kids Craft from Happy Mothering is no exception.
- How about a really fun Pom Pom Rainbow Collage? Danya Banya gives all the details. You’re definitely going to want to check it out!
- I’m in love with My Little Pony. Yep, still. And this My Little Pony Handprint Craft – Rainbow Dash from Fun Handprint Art Blog is all kinds of awesome!
- Are you a preschool teacher? Check out this post from Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds about How to Create Rainbow Collage Art for Classroom Display. Note: I could totally see doing this at home too. It’s such a fun and versatile art project for little kids.
- Make this Beaded Rainbow Necklace Craft from Buddy and Buggy. It’s art that you can wear!
- Craft a Cereal Box Rainbow Purse with your preschoolers. This quick & easy craft idea from Best Toys 4 Toddlers is one that every little girl will love.
- Take a look at this awesome and out of the box activity idea from Mosswood Connections. Make a Rainbow Spaghetti Wall with your preschoolers today!
- Collage art is absolutely wonderful for fine motor skills and this Egg Shell Sensory Art Project from Mosswood Connections is no exception.
- Make a rainbow Paper Plate Tambourine with your little kids! This cool St. Patrick’s Day craft from Red Ted Art will be a hit all year round.
- Create a Pop Up Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Kids with this wonderful post from A Little Pinch of Perfect.
Crafts are a really great hands-on way to explore rainbows together and get your preschoolers talking about rainbows and asking questions that lead to fantastic learning opportunities! For more awesome learning opportunities, check out these rainbow themed math and reasoning activities for preschoolers.
Rainbow Math & Reasoning Activities
- Here’s a fun Free Printable Roll A Rainbow Game from Play. Party. Plan. It’s a great way to work on preschool math skills with your little kids.
- Rainbow Valentine’s Size Hearts: An Easy Breakfast Invitation from Days with Grey is a wonderful idea for exploring early math skills.
- Are you looking for a quick & easy preschool math activity? Check this out Rainbow Playdough Color and Counting Game from The Chaos and the Clutter.
- What could be more fun that learning Math with a Rainbow Abacus? Here’s a fun idea for teaching preschoolers from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
- Teach preschoolers math the fun way with this Rainbow Number Activity from Preschool Play & Learn.
- Make a rainbow with pouch caps. Check out this Rainbow Activity from Normal Life Mom.
- Match rainbow sea stars with this fun Rainbow Sea Star Memory Match Game from The Art Kit Blog.
- This “I See a Rainbow” Preschool Color Activity from Fun-A-Day looks like a total blast! I’m willing to bet that even my kindergartner would love this one!
- Here’s a great fine motor idea for preschoolers from Best Toys 4 Toddlers. Make a 5-in-1 Rainbow Busy Bag.
- Here’s a fun Rainbow Game: DIY Shapes and Colors Board Game from Mosswood Connections that your little kids are sure to love. Practice color recognition, taking turns, and even counting with this free printable activity.
Keep scrolling to check out some fun rainbow sensory activities to help your preschoolers build problem solving and critical thinking skills through play.
Rainbow Sensory Activities
- Make Rainbow Slime with this Rainbow Slime Recipe – The Best Rainbow Slime Ever from Natural Beach Living. The little guy loves slime and I’m sure that your little kids will too!
- Here’s everything you need to know about Playing with Rainbow Coloured Spaghetti from Laughing Kids Learn.
- I’m loving this great post from Laughing Kids Learn about How to Make Rainbow Oats for Sensory Play.
- Playing with Rainbow Coloured Spaghetti from Laughing Kids Learn is a great sensory experience as well a fun way to practice fine motor skills and of course color recognition too.
- Have a blast with Fun Rainbow Foam Dough for Kids! Check out this quick & easy recipe from Little Bins for Little Hands.
- If you’re looking for more options for sensory play, check out this post from Laughing Kids Learn about How to Make Rainbow Oats for Sensory Play.
- Here’s a great post about How to Dye Pasta for a Rainbow Sensory Tub from NurtureStore. What a unique texture for your kiddos to explore!
- Make a rainbow sensory bin with Colored Rice and Other Rainbow Sensory Bin Ideas from Team Cartwright.
- Check out this post from Messy Little Monster to learn How To Make Rainbow Spaghetti for Sensory Play.
- Here’s a great Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin idea from Messy Little Monster.
- Have a great time with this Spring Sensory Scavenger Hunt from Artfully Adventuring.
- Check out this post about making Rainbow Rice from The Best Ideas for Kids. She uses acrylic paint instead of food coloring or liquid watercolors. This might just be our new favorite technique.
- Make These Gorgeous Glitter Jars in A Rainbow of Colors from Fun-A-Day. What a great idea for a “calming corner” for preschoolers!
- Check out this awesome Rainbows & Unicorns Play Dough Activity from The Art Kit Blog! I’m loving seeing two of my little girl’s favorite things combined into one magical sensory activity!
- Here’s a Super Easy Rainbow Sensory Activity for Preschoolers from Fun-A-Day. Check it out!
- If you’re looking for Rainbow Play Dough Free Printables, check out this post full of awesome ideas from Pickle Bums.
- What a wonderful home decor project! This Fine Motor Skills: Rainbow Rice in a Jar from KCEdventures is such an adorable idea!
- Wow! How to Make a Rainbow Jar Kids Craft from A Little Pinch of Perfect is absolutely amazing. So colorful and sparkly! You and your little kids will love this amazing idea.
- Here’s a slimy, squishy Rainbow and Clouds Sensory Play Activity for Kids from A Little Pinch of Perfect. Messy sensory play activities are always favorites around here.
After all the rainbow sensory fun, you should definitely try incorporating a rainbow themed story time. Reading aloud is an excellent way to help young children develop an early love of reading. For more early reading fun, try some of these great rainbow letter and writing activities.
Rainbow Language & Literacy Ideas
- Here’s A Colorful Prewriting Activity from Days with Grey. I spy our favorite rainbow bear counters. Check it out!
- Check out this Rainbow Matching Activity from Laughing Kids Learn. Talk about a great idea for teaching preschoolers to differentiate between uppercase and lowercase letters.
- This is a great lesson for preschoolers about How Rainbows Build Teamwork from Really, Are You Serious?
- Your preschoolers will love this All About Me Preschool Activity from Sixth Bloom. Such an adorable idea!
- Match capital and lowercase letters with this Rainbow Letter and Phonics Picture Math Free Printable from A Little Pinch of Perfect.
- Check out this awesome idea from Messy Little Monster! Rainbow Coloring Pages – Hang Rainbows in Windows to Spread Hope & Positivity. Such a beautiful idea for teaching kids kindness.
- Build fine motor skills with this Rainbow Sensory Writing Activity from Fun-A-Day. This is such a fun way to practice pre-writing skills with little kids.
- Practice language and literacy skills with this free printable Rainbow Find and Cover the Letters Alphabet Activity from Fun Learning for Kids.
- If you’re looking for another wonderful fine motor activity, check out this Weaving Rainbow from Best Toys 4 Toddlers.
- Have a great time exploring colors with this Rainbow Colour Hunt – Rainy Day Activity from Red Ted Art.
There are so many fun ways to learn about rainbows with preschoolers! STEAM activities are some of my favorite learning activities! I just love the way they incorporate science, art, and math into a cohesive lesson that’s also lots of fun for young learners. Check out these awesome Rainbow STEAM play activities.
Rainbow STEAM for Preschoolers
- Here’s a STEAM activity from Little Bins for Little Hands that’s definitely going to win the hearts of your preschoolers. Combine science and art to make a fun Coffee Filter Rainbow Craft.
- Are you ready for an Easy Science Project with Skittles? Check out this post from Journey to SAHM.
- If you’re looking for more rainbow science fun, check out this Rainbow Science for Kids: Exploring Prisms from Buddy and Buggy.
- Here’s a Rainbow Tissue Paper Craft for Kids from Crayons & Cravings that’s not only a great science lesson, but also really beautiful decor.
- Explore Rainbow Science: Creating Light Patterns with a CD with your kiddos. This activity from Buddy and Buggy is so quick & easy, which means zero stress for you.
- Have a little treasure hunt with these DIY Magic Rainbow Rocks with Hidden Treasure from Crayons & Cravings.
- A little bit of science with jelly beans? Yes, please. You’re definitely going to want to try out this Jelly Bean STEM Rainbow Activity from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
- Check out this fun twist on the classic baking soda & vinegar science experience (rainbow style) with a fun Melting Rainbow Preschool Science Experiment from Darcy & Brian.
- Here’s a classic science experiment that’s definitely colorful. Check out this Capillary Action Science Experiment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
- From Engineer to Stay at Home Mom invites you to Make A Rainbow Using One of the Properties of Water!
- We did something similar to this Preschool Science Fizzing Rainbow from Natural Beach Living during our Science Lab theme and it was a huge hit!
- Are you ready for some Rainbow Baking Soda & Vinegar Experiment fun? Check out this cool idea from Happily Ever Mom.
- Go deeper with your study of rainbows and make this Rainbow Science for Kids: Homemade Spectroscope. This activity from Buddy and Buggy is sure to be a hit with your little scientist.
- Try this Skittles Experiment: Exploring Color Science and sneak in some rainbow learning in the process! Check out this fun STEAM idea from The Soccer Mom Blog.
- How about some Super Fun and Engaging Scented Rainbow Science for Preschoolers from Fun-A-Day? If you’re looking for fizzy scented fun, this activity is a sure bet.
Leave a comment and share your favorite rainbow activites for preschoolers. I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Don’t forget to stop by next week if you’re interested in seeing what we’re up to with our Bubbles, Boats & Floats theme. And if you missed this year’s preschool homeschool space post, you can check it out here.
Looking for more insight & inspiration? Here are the top 10 most popular posts from The Keeper of the Memories. You’re definitely not going to want to miss these!