These Preschool Tracing Worksheets are a fun way to practice fine motor and early handwriting skills with your early learners. Download your free printable preschool worksheets today!
These no-prep Preschool Tracing Worksheets are awesome printables for practicing early handwriting skills with your preschool learners.
Preschool tracing worksheets provide an easy and fun way to build finger muscles, practice correct pencil grip, and work on the pre-writing skills your preschooler will need for perfect penmanship in kindergarten and beyond.
I’m all about finding easy ways to incorporate learning into playtime with early learners. These tracing worksheets have adorable preschool themes your little ones are sure to love. Plus, these tracing printables offer lots of ways for preschool learners to have fun.
Plus, I’ve got some fun ideas for extra learning activities you can enjoy together to practice handwriting skills too. Keep reading to learn more about the skills your preschooler can practice and extra fun activities too.
Fine Motor Skills
Giving your preschool learner a strong foundation when it comes to fine motor skills is essential. Fine motor skills are the ability to move the small muscles in the hands and wrists. These skills are a big part of everyday life for kids. Fine motor skills are used in tasks like buttoning clothing and tying shoes.
Beyond practical tasks, fine motor skills are an essential part of handwriting basics. Kids with strong finger muscles are better able to grip their pencils properly and make the strokes needed to write letters, numbers, and draw shapes.
Preschool tracing worksheets offer a fun and easy way for little learners to practice the tripod position used to grip a pencil properly and exercise the small muscles needed for proper penmanship.
Pre-writing skills are a bit more focused than fine motor skills and equally important to practice. They are the fundamental skills preschoolers must develop before beginning to form letters and numbers. Pre-writing skills are the pencil strokes that form most letters, numbers, and simple shapes.
Mastering pre-writing skills helps a child develop the drawing and handwriting skills they’ll need in kindergarten.
These preschool tracing worksheets will help your kids practice these important pencil strokes in a creative way as they color the fun shapes and characters on these printable pages.
Need more ideas for fun activities to practice handwriting? Try some of these kinesthetic methods for handwriting practice:
- Sand Tray Letter Writing – A tray can be filled with any material that can be moved around (like sand or salt) with a finger to form letters. The purpose of this tray is to allow your preschooler to practice writing without the stress of holding a pencil. It’s a great way to practice letters with kids who haven’t mastered proper pencil grip yet.
- Pre-Writing with Shaving Cream – This activity can be messy but it’s lots of fun! Use a tray with sides and squirt on some shaving cream, but not too much. Let preschoolers practice making marks with their index finger. Show them how to form circles, lines, and Xs. More advanced learners can try writing numbers and letters. It’s a sensory seeker’s paradise!
- Touch and Feel Letters & Numbers – Popular with the Montessori Method, these cards use raised sandpaper to form letters and numbers. This gives kids a tactile experience which helps them become familiar with the shapes and strokes used to create letters and numbers. It’s a great way for preschoolers to get used to the symbols and prepare for writing their own letters and numbers in the future.
Preschool Tracing Worksheets
All of these awesome preschool tracing worksheets are of course free downloads, so grab as many you want! And of course check back often because I’m always adding new free printable worksheets for little kids!
- Free Printable Summer Tracing Worksheets
- Free Printable Ocean Tracing Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Spring Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Summer Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Easter Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Weather Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Valentine’s Day Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Winter Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Christmas Preschool Worksheets
- Free Printable Tracing Thanksgiving Preschool Worksheets