I’m really excited about sharing this fun new Easter STEAM activity with you. The little guy and baby girl had so much fun exploring color mixing with these frozen eggs.
It’s a fun Easter STEAM project for preschoolers and kindergartners. You’re definitely not going to want to miss it!
Do your little learners know what happens when you mix red and yellow? With this Easter egg color mixing activity, it’s time to find out! Keep reading to learn how you can set up your own frozen Easter STEAM egg color mixing activity.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Plus, get some fun tips on teaching colors to your little learners this Easter too! After all, little kids learn best through play and this fun color mixing STEAM activity is no exception!
Teaching Color Mixing to Preschoolers
This Easter STEAM color mixing activity is lots of fun to explore and provides an engaging sensory experience for kindergartners and even first graders too. But it’s really perfect for preschool!
Preschoolers can explore and engage with these colorful frozen Easter eggs while learning important lessons about color theory.
Mixing colors is a fun way for kids to practice identifying colors and learning about the differences between primary and secondary colors. Ask questions as you work with these frozen Easter eggs such as: “What happens if we put this blue egg into the green water?”
It’s a great time to discuss states of matter with your preschool learners too. Talk about how solid ice becomes liquid water. Kids can observe it happening right before their eyes with this exciting Easter STEAM.
You can extend this activity further for your older kiddos by experimenting with water temperature and how quickly the frozen eggs melt.
Ready to make your own? Here’s what you’ll need:
Easter STEAM Activity for Little Kids
What you’ll need
- Silicone Egg Mold or Egg-shaped Ice Cube Tray
- Food Coloring
- Clear Cups or Containers
- Plastic Tray
Here’s how to do it
Once you’ve gathered all the supplies for this Easter STEAM, follow these steps to get started:
- Begin by mixing water with food coloring in the clear cups. You’ll want to create several different colors for this project: red, yellow, green, and blue.
- Then, pour small amounts of colored water into each egg mold. You’ll want to make a few eggs in each different color. Finally, freeze your eggs. This step will take a few hours so plan ahead.
- Once your eggs are ready, you’ll need to pour water into a few clear containers. We used water that was approximately room temperature, but you could experiment with warm and/or cool water as well.
- Encourage children to drop two or more different colored Easter eggs into each container of water. As the frozen Easter eggs begin to melt, the colors mix, and your little kids can observe the results.
Easter Color Recognition Activities
Coloring pages are another fantastic way to teach little learners about colors and color mixing. Check out these fun Easter coloring pages for even more fun with your preschoolers this holiday season and of course don’t forget to try ice painting with a few of your frozen colored Easter eggs too.
After you’ve had fun with this Easter STEAM activity, come back and share your story in the comment section. I can’t wait to read about your learning journey! I just know your little learners are going to love this Easter color mixing activity as much as my kiddos did.
Don’t forget to check back if you’re interested in seeing what we’re up to next week with our space & sky theme!
Looking for more insight & inspiration? Here are the top 10 most popular posts from The Keeper of the Memories. You’re definitely not going to want to miss these!