Learn about color mixing and practice fine motor skills with your preschoolers and kindergartners using this Blue & Yellow Painting for Kids activity.
Who doesn’t love painting for kids? And especially when it involves lots of color mixing fun. After all, preschool is a great time to teach color theory. Preschoolers love experimenting with new concepts and learning about color is a super important skill for little learners.
Color mixing activities for preschoolers are wonderful because they’re engaging and hands-on, which means a wonderful play-based opportunity to explore. Not only that, but preschool color mixing is perfect for just about any lesson or theme.
This week, we’re learning about Paul Bunyan and used this Blue & Yellow Painting for Kids activity while reading Babe the Blue Ox.
Paul Bunyan has a big blue ox named Babe and a cow named Bessie. An ox is a strong animal that can haul heavy loads. We can mix the color blue and yellow together to create green.
Today’s color mixing preschool craft also meant an enjoyable discussion about which animals make good pets and which animals don’t.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, please see my full disclosures.
A huge thanks to Experience Early Learning (formerly Mother Goose Time) for providing us with their Experience Preschool curriculum for free in exchange for sharing our honest and authentic stories resulting from our personal experiences. It’s been such a huge blessing to us! As always, my opinions on awesome stuff for little kids are 100% my own.
Invitation to create activities include lots of opportunities for practicing communication skills using the prompts below. Your preschoolers will have so much fun discussing their process with you while making this adorable blue and yellow painting for kids.
Blue & Yellow Painting for Kids
What you’ll need
- Inspiration Photo
- Background Paper
- Paint (Blue, Yellow)
Here’s how to do it
- Set out the Inspiration Photo and additional supplies.
- What happens when you blend or mix both colors together?
- How will you use the sponge to paint?
- Can you fold the paper to mix the colors together?
- Does the child mix the yellow and blue paint together?
- Does he describe the physical change that occurs on his paper?
- Does he communicate how he wants to use the materials?
Color Mixing for Kids
If you’ve been around for a while, then you already know how much we love color mixing for kids! Not only is color an important element of art, but it’s also a great way to explore creative thinking, problem-solving, and of course fine motor skills.
Keep reading for lots of quick and easy color mixing activities that your little learners are sure to love!
- Check out this awesome Ice Painting activity! Talk about something quick & easy to do with your little kids that’s perfect for a hot summer day! Don’t forget to add it to your next preschool science theme or STEAM center!
- This wonderful Inventing New Colors activity has always been a favorite around here! It’s the perfect way to explore color mixing with your preschool and kindergarten learners.
- Keep your little kids cool this Summer and explore color mixing with this fun Art Studio Preschool Monthly Theme Color Mixing Science & Nature STEAM Investigation Station.
Don’t forget to check back if you’re interested in seeing what we’re up to next week with our Fables & Folktales theme from Experience Preschool!