Welcome to week one of 52 Weeks to an Organized Workspace. Guess what y’all! This month we’re planning our creative spaces. Isn’t that exciting?
By the way, this post may contain affiliate links. which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, see my full disclosures here.
We’re going to get started by making a few simple changes. Our to-do list for this week is quick and easy. It’s all about creating new habits. If you start doing the same few things every day, sooner or later you’ll do them without even thinking about it.
Anyone can get organized, but you have to create new habits to actually stay organized. And if you don’t, you’ll probably be joining us again next year. Not that I’m necessarily planning on there being a next year, but you know what I mean.
- Take before pictures. It doesn’t matter if your space is a disaster. That’s actually kind of the point. Throughout the next year, you’re going to want to give up more than once and the easiest way to talk yourself down is to take a good, hard look at how far you’ve come. Print them and put them with your weekly checklist.
- Get a binder or a tablet. This is where you’re going to make notes and keep your printables. Over the course of the next few weeks, we’re going to be doing a lot of brainstorming. We’ll talk more about this later, but for right now, just find something you’re not going to get sick of looking at anytime soon. If you’re using a binder, here’s a free 52 Weeks Printable Binder Cover.
- Find a basket or bin, but not just any basket or bin. It’s gotta be something you’re head over heels in love with because you’re going to be using it a lot during this challenge. This is where you’re going to keep everything that doesn’t belong. If you find something that’s out of place, you’ll put it in the basket.
- Clean off your desk. Right now, I honestly don’t care what you do with everything that’s on it, just make some space. If you feel motivated to put it all away, bonus points for you. Either way, you need somewhere to work through these challenges and your desk is the most logical choice.
Here the deal. From this point forward, you’re going to commit to spending 5-10 minutes in your space once or twice each day. During that time, you’re going to clean off your desk and put everything that’s ended up in your basket or bin where it actually belongs. In other words, let’s keep the clutter from getting even more out of hand, at least as much as we can. You know, considering… If you actually do this regularly, it really will only take a few minutes.
You’re probably sitting there thinking I’m crazy and that’s fine. Try it for a week, though. You’ll be surprised at how much you can accomplish. It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to get everything finished in that time, especially when it comes to organizing things like paper and digital photos, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.
Are you still with me?
Here’s your homework for this week. You have two assignments.
- Promise yourself that you will get organized. There are almost 300 of us in the Facebook group now. Let’s encourage and inspire one another. Each and every one of us can do this. No turning back.
- Make a few notes about what you have versus what you want and what you’re hoping to accomplish by working through these challenges. We’re going to spend the next few weeks refining our goals and putting together a plan.
Psst… If you haven’t already, you’re definitely going to want to come hang out with us in our 52 Weeks Facebook group. That’s where we’ll be chatting about the challenges and our creative spaces.
Just to review, here’s your to-do list for this week.
1. Take before pictures.
2. Answer the question of the week.
3. Get a binder or a tablet.
4. Find a basket or bin.
5. Clean off your desk.
6. Print the Printable 52 Weeks Commitment and sign off on it.
7. Print the 52 Weeks Printable Week 1 goals worksheet and fill it out.
What are you hoping to accomplish by working through these challenges? Leave a comment and share.
Thanks so much for visiting. See you next week!