Welcome to week three of the 52 Weeks to an Organized Workspace challenge. Most of us are probably sorting in some form or another. I definitely am. What exactly does sorting look like for me?
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchased through one of these links. For more information, please see my full disclosures.
Right now, I have piles. I have a shelf where I’m sorting scrapbooking supplies into baskets and one with mixed media & art journaling stuff too. I have a card table where I’m putting jewelry making & metal stamping supplies for the time being as well as a pile of Project Life supplies on the floor.
Another thing that’s of course on my to-do list as I’m sorting is to “use it or lose it” – all of those odds and ends – scraps of patterned paper and almost empty packs of stickers and embellishments? No more… I’ve planned a few pages and projects along the way to use them up and you’re more than welcome to play along.
I started putting together two baskets of stuff – they are my “use it or lose it” baskets. They’re slowly filling up. I have one for scrapbooking supplies and one for mixed media/art journaling supplies.
After I’ve managed to get everything into my space and sorted into its respective piles, the next thing on the agenda is making a list. What exactly is supposed to be on that list? Well, it’s the last step in planning our creative spaces, which means we’re going to make a list of what we love and what we hate, what we want, and what we need.
Basically, we’re going to do some brainstorming. By now, you should’ve taken before pictures, cleaned off your desk, gotten a basket, and put your 52 Weeks binder together. You also should’ve created an inspiration board and done your space audit.
You might even have started thinking about creating workspaces and sorting your supplies already. If you have, that’s awesome. If you haven’t, no worries. You can totally get yourself caught up this week.
So, back to this whole list thing… What’s on My Creative Space To-Do List? This isn’t everything, but it at least gives you a starting point. Use your imagination and create the space of your dreams. Here are 10 tips for organizing your creative space on a tight budget.
- Paint table and chairs white.
- Get more glass jars to organize ribbon.
- Buy cabinets to create built-ins.
- Create jewelry workbench.
Here’s your homework for this week. You have two assignments.
- Start making a to-do list. Using your 52 Weeks binder and your inspiration board, start making a to-do list for your creative space. Write down the things you want and the things you need. Add what you want to make and what you want to buy.
- Create a “use it or lost it” basket. If you have a pile of things that you’re not really sure what to do with, but you’re not quite ready to get rid of yet, create a “use it or lose it” basket. This optional. Keep in mind, that this only works if you’re actually cycling supplies in and out and have a time limit. If you haven’t used it within, for example, a month, you need to be willing to get rid of it. Please only do this if you think it would work well for you. Remember, we’re all unique. What works for one of us won’t necessarily work for all of us. If this isn’t your thing and you do it anyhow, you’ll just be creating one more clutter spot in your creative space and you wouldn’t want that, would you?
Psst… If you haven’t already, you’re definitely going to want to come hang out with us in our 52 Weeks Facebook group. That’s where we’ll be chatting about the challenges and our creative spaces.
Just to review, here’s your to-do list for this week.
- Answer the question of the week.
- Spend some time thinking about what you love and what you hate, what you want and what you need.
- Print the 52 Weeks Printable Week 3 to-do list worksheet and put together a to-do list for your creative space.
- Create a “use it or lose it” basket if you have a pile of things that you’re not really sure what to do with.
Also, if you missed them, here are the links to the Creating Workspaces mini-series for those of us who are starting over or starting from scratch.
Remember to leave a comment and share your creative space to-do list.
Don’t forget to stop by next week for a new 52 Weeks to an Organized Workspace challenge!