Have you made any of these same mistakes?
- Letting things pile up here, there, and everywhere – I’m all kinds of serious about this one. It never fails. I bring something home, put it somewhere, and it just ends up staying there. It’s not intentional. I think it might be a product of my circumstances. I work full-time. I have the little guy. I’m pregnant with baby girl. Basically, I’m just in survival mode at this point.
- Not cleaning off my main workspaces between projects – This one’s actually kinda hilarious. The horizontal spaces in the studio have totally become somewhere to stash the little guy’s stuff. I’m not entirely sure how that happened, but y’all know how it goes. I clean off the table and toss everything on my workbench or clean off my workbench and throw it all on the table. Either way, it’s not exactly productive. It definitely might be about time to add more shelves in the studio.
- Overthinking things when it comes to purging – Ugh… Purging. It’s every creative mama’s worst nightmare. What do you keep? What do you pitch? You’re probably sitting there thinking, “But I spent a lot of money on all of these supplies that I never use!” Yep! Join the club. We all did. If you’re not using it, get rid of it. Otherwise, it’s just taking up space.
- Not completing one organizing task before starting another – This one really needs no explanation. It’s exactly how the studio floor became such a disaster in the first place. And empty containers? They’re everywhere. Is it even possible to be a creative mama and not have at least a dozen or so projects in the works at any given time? I can’t even wrap my head around the possibility.
- Thinking there’s no reason to label anything – As a general rule, I hate labels, but apparently they’re a necessary evil in the organizing world. And while I haven’t gotten around to labeling all of our various baskets and bins yet, it’s definitely on my list of things to do. This mama actually went out and bought a label maker. Can you believe it? Now to figure out exactly how to make said labels and get it done. You know, because unfortunately things don’t just organize themselves.
What were your biggest mistakes when you organized your creative space? Leave a comment and share.
This post is part of the Creative Mistakes mini-series. You can find the other posts in this series here:
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting Your Creative Blog
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Scheduling Your Creative Time
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Planning Your Creative Budget
And If you’re looking for more organizing posts, you can find my top 10 most popular posts here:
10 Tips For Organizing Your Creative Space On A Tight Budget
How I Organize All The Small Things In My Creative Space
Creating Workspaces That Work For You – Part I.
52 Weeks To An Organized Workspace Challenge
Creating Workspace That Work For You – Part II.
The Evolution Of My Space
52 Weeks To An Organized Workspace – Let’s Get This Party Started
12 Awesome Ideas For Organizing Your Creative Space
5 Reasons We Struggle To Keep Our Creative Spaces Organized
The #1 Reason You’ll Never Get Your Creative Space Organized
Psst… If you haven’t already, you’re definitely going to want to come hang out with us in our 52 Weeks Facebook group. That’s where we’ll be chatting about the challenges and our creative spaces. And if you’re interested in a free weekly to-do list printable, here’s a link to the 52 Weeks Workflow Weekly To-Do List that I’ve been using.
Thanks so much for visiting. Have an awesome week!