Have you made any of these same mistakes?
- Not keeping a to-do list or at least a list of projects in progress – I’m not saying you need to only work from a list, though. I’m simply saying that if you can keep a list of ideas, you won’t sit down and waste precious time that you could be creating trying to figure out exactly what it is that you want to create. Enough said, right? Keep a tablet on your workspace and write down ideas as you think of them.
- Trying to force myself to be creative when I’m just not feeling it – Let’s face it, some days you’re inspired and others you’re not. And you know what? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Switch things up and do what makes you happy. And if that means creating tonight and finishing laundry tomorrow, then so be it.
- Wasting asinine amounts of time looking for inspiration online – One of my biggest time-wasters is of course Pinterest. Sure, once in a while, it’s cool to look for ideas, but it definitely shouldn’t become a habit. Let me repeat myself. All of our creative time shouldn’t be spent on Pinterest, unless of course you don’t want to actually make anything after all.
- Thinking I can accomplish more than what’s actually possible – Unfortunately, there really are only 24 hours in a day. It’s such a shame, isn’t it? On more than one occasion, I’ve wished that I could just quit my job, stay at home, and make stuff. Yea, I know. Keep dreamin’. At least that’s what my husband tells me all the time.
- Procrastinating until I have large blocks of time to be creative – Let’s break this down. If you’re anything like me, you have a full-time job, a toddler, and about a half-dozen other things that require your attention on a day-to-day basis. If you wait until you have large blocks of time to be creative, you’ll never end up actually making anything. Take advantage of it when you find a few minutes here and there throughout your day. Maybe, leave whatever project you’re working on out and add to it each time you walk past it.
What are the biggest mistakes you make when scheduling your creative time? Leave a comment and share.
This post is part of the Creative Mistakes mini-series. You can find the other posts in this series here:
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Organizing Your Creative Space
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Planning Your Creative Budget
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting Your Creative Blog
Psst… If you haven’t already, you’re definitely going to want to come hang out with us in our 52 Weeks Facebook group. That’s where we’ll be chatting about the challenges and our creative spaces.
Thanks so much for visiting. Have an awesome week!